Patient Billing Protections
What do the terms Balance Billing and Surprise Billing mean?
Surprise Billing occurs when a patient receives a larger-than-expected medical bill due to their care provider being out-of-network. It typically occurs in the following scenarios:
• Emergency care situations, when patients may not be able to choose health care providers covered by their insurance.
• An out-of-network provider renders service to a patient at an in-network hospital.
Balance Billing happens when an out-of-network provider holds a patient responsible for the difference between their gross charge and the insurer’s allowed amount.
It’s important to understand your rights and protections against surprise medical bills. Additional information is listed below:
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
At Beacon ABA, Inc., your privacy is a priority. We follow state and federal guidelines to protect your confidential health information.
You have certain rights to privacy regarding your Protected Health Information. At Beacon ABA, Inc, your information can and will be used to:
• Conduct, plan and direct my treatment and follow-up among the multiple health care providers who may be involved in that treatment directly and indirectly
• Obtain payment from third party payers
• Conduct normal health care operations such as quality assessments and physician certifications